Thursday, May 22, 2008

More pictures





Day 7 Post op
These pictures were taken yesterday after my post-op appointment with Dr. Danielson. The steri-strips are gone and you can barely see the puncture mark on each side of my face. The swelling is slowly getting better and so is the pain. I'm so jealous that Leah doesn't have much pain but I guess every one's different. Anyway, my post-op went well, he took more x-rays and I was ecstatic with the result. My jaws are straight!!! I actually have a copy of the x-rays taken but I don't know how to download it yet, but will continue to try. Hopefully you'll get to see what it looks like. My doctor said everything looks great and he is pleased with the outcome. He said the pain will slowly get better and any numb spots that I have will start coming back slowly as well. He gave me an irrigation syringe to clean inside my mouth where the toothbrush can't reach or where it's just too sensitive to brush just yet. I find that it's a very helpful tool, kind of like the water-pik, but not as hard or as much water. I did ask if I could use the water-pik but he said it would be too much force at this point. I'm just glad to be able to brush and "irrigate" and keep my mouth clean. I have to go back to see him in two weeks. In other news, I saw my orthodontist today for my post-op with him. They said that I will need to wear elastics for awhile to finish pulling my bite together. He couldn't do anything today because there is just too much swelling so he just kinda peeked in there and said everything looks good. I go back next week for the elastics and get the surgical hooks off. I was wondering if wearing the elastics is going to cause more pain or if it's just more of an annoyance than anything? So, that was it for that appointment today. Now it's late so I'm going to say goodbye for now. Will talk to you again soon.

6 comments:

holski said...

Heather! Looking good girl! I know it's been a hard road, but things do seem to be improving! You're so strong! =)

Leah said...

your swelling seems to be going down! how are those pain meds working? I feel so bad that they haven't been doing their job for you :(

Dragon (Karen) said...

Keep thinking about how great it will be in a couple of weeks time ... and hopefully you'll find the time flies!

Here's to the elastics being kind to your mouth and jaw.

Take good care!

Michelle said...

I'm sure it may not feel it to you but, it does really look like the swelling has come down quite a bit. You're looking good! Stay strong!!
I remember a while ago, you mentioning your family getting together for Memorial Day. Are you able to join in or is it still too painful?

Heather said...

I'm just going to go over for a couple of hours a day. Talking seems to bring on alot of the pain and so does the wind when I'm outside. They're leaving this afternoon after the kids get out of school and staying til Monday. I'm not upset about it though, the kids love the first camping trip of the season and I wouldn't let them miss it for the world.

Katherine (Kate) said...

You can DEFINITELY see the swelling going down, and I swear your eyes look brighter, more lively too :)

Would be great to see the xrays if you can get them up. It had to be encouraging to see and hold in your hand proof that everything is right where it's supposed to be..Success! Soon enough, what you see on the outside will follow suit :)

Hope you have a restful weekend and enjoy your visits to the campground.