Monday, February 11, 2008

A little about my history with braces

We have alot of snow. This fence is 4 feet high. We're supposed to get more snow this week. Driving down the road is like driving through tunnels. Anyway, I'm ready for spring to get here.






I wanted to tell you a little about my braces. I got the bottom set on in November 2006. We did it that way because I wear a splint for my tmj problem. At the time I was wearing a splint on my top teeth. I had the wire adjusted every 4-6 weeks and it hurt like heck. My bite is alot worse now than it was before braces. But, in the end it will all be worth it. In January 2007 I had my remaining two wisdom teeth pulled; also hurt like heck, but my teeth moved alot after that. After each adjustment I couldn't eat anything but soups and really soft foods for three or four days because my teeth were so sore. I have lost about 25 pounds (I needed to anyway) since this started. In August 2007 I had impressions made for my new splint to be worn on my bottom teeth, so I could have my top braces put on. In September 2007 I finally had my top braces (ceramic) put on and my new splint for my bottom teeth. I like the bottom splint alot better than the top as it is easier to talk with it in. I have adjustments to the braces every 4-6 weeks and they're not as painful as the bottom braces were, but I do still have some pretty significant pain. My top teeth don't have to be moved as much as the bottom teeth did. The ceramic braces do tend to cut my cheeks more for some reason though. I still have to eat soup and really soft foods for about 3-4 days after each adjustment and my jaw tends to get really sore for about 7 days or so. With each visit to the orthodontist my bite gets worse. My next visit to the ortho is February 19th and hopefully it won't hurt too bad this time. Here are some pictures of my bite and side profile.














My face looks flat from the side view. My jaws look really crooked especially the upper jaw. My teeth are pretty straight; I only have two more adjustments before surgery. I was not wearing my splint in these pictures because it makes my bite look a lot worse.
Sorry this post was so long...I'll try to keep it shorter next time.

3 comments:

Shontelly said...

Long posts are good. I don't mind. :D

Anonymous said...

I got my braces a week ago. I have class 2 problem, and right now i have braces for upper jaw for the next 18 month. I had overbite all my life, never had problems with it, eating sleeping or anything like that. I believe i will get braces for bottom jaw to line up everything. Doctor mentioned surgery afterall but i don't think i'm going for. I don't need reconstruction of my face cause i'm happy with it. Pretty much after all teeth get lined up, i'm getting implant for one missing tooth in upper jaw and i'm done.

Unknown said...

I meant class 3 problem, whatever that means.