Monday, February 18, 2008

Can't sleep so I thought I might as well post...so anyway, I have alot questions. I noticed that a lot of you have seen your oral surgeon quite a bit and actually speak to him/her on a regular basis. I'm a little worried because I've only seen mine once to have my wisdom teeth pulled last year! I won't see him again until one week before my surgery. Is this normal? I mean I know my orthodontist is communicating with him by sending records etc. but I would think that the surgeon would want to do his own pics and what not...right? Or will he do the molds etc. when I see him before the surgery? I have an appt with my ortho on Tues, so I'll ask. I guess I'm just not sure which doc does what. I was told the doc who's doing my surgery is very good, but I don't feel like he's communicating with me enough. I don't have a clue what's going to happen at the pre-op appt and when I ask nobody can tell me anything. I had to ask them whether or not I was having double jaw surgery. I only found out the end of January that I was having both jaws worked on. I don't know maybe I'm just over-reacting. Oh, and I was also wondering if any of you who had upper jaw surgery donated your own blood for the surgery and if it's really necessary to. I would rather be as prepared as possible but I don't want to over do it. I'm really starting to get nervous about this surgery and I've still got three months to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Prior to my first surgery, I didn't see my oral surgeon a whole lot either. I've seen him several times over the last 8 months because they were post op appt's. The last one I had, was the first time we spoke of my next surgery. I agree, it seems as though everyone see's their doctors alot. My ortho, does everything. Molds, x-rays and then just sends them along.
Who are your doctor's?
When is your surgery date?

Shontelly said...

Yeap. Perfectly normal..not saying that it's good though. I saw my sergeon like twice before my first surgery. Not very satisfiing is it? Especially when they are about to chop up your face. ;) My ortho sent all my pics to him but none of the molds. Your surgeon will prob do more molds.

I didn't donate my blood but I've heard some that do. Its up to the surgeon.

May doesn't seem too far away at all huh?

Tara said...

I haven't had a chance to read your whole blog, I will have to catch up on that! But I did want to comment about not seeing your surgeon much. I only saw mine 3 times before the big day! The very first consultation, before braces. Then when my ortho thought I was ready, but the OS didn't. Then not again until my pre-op! He is 1.5 hours away, so he just kept in touch with the ortho so I didn't have to drive all the way to see him just for him to tell me if I was ready or not. It can be make you a bit nervous, but they are in touch all the time! Good luck with the braces and upcoming surgery! I did read that you are having both upper and lower. That's what I was originally suppose to have, then just upper, then 5 days before surgery, they changed it to just lower. When I was suppose to have upper, my surgeon wanted a family member to donate blood, if possible. He didn't want me to donate because you have to do it so close to surgery, that when you go into surgery you are already low, and the chances of needing that blood increase. But each one looks at it differently.

Anonymous said...

I have seen the surgeon who is eventually going to carry out the surgery once. I did ask if I needed to see him again, he said just before, like a week before, but I think it's mostly to reassure me as all the communication between him and the ortho is taking place. But I feel like you do, that it should be more: I want him to hold my hand and tell me it's going to be just fine! I guess when I did see him I stayed for 2 and a half hours. but still!